Windlift's mission is to produce energy for a sustainable civilization, which we believe is the defining challenge of our time. Our approach harnesses wind energy using 90% less material than traditional turbines and will cut the cost of wind energy in half. We have successfully demonstrated the core technology and are expanding our team to:
- Produce a fully functioning tech demonstrator
- Develop a production-ready design for our early-adopter government customers
- Design, build, and test a commercial offshore system
If you are passionate about our mission and want to join a team developing technology with the potential to produce scalable, low-cost sustainable energy, we’d like to talk with you.
We’re hiring a Lead Launch/Land Systems Design Engineer. This position will lead a team with an immediate focus on designing the mechanical ground system that will enable autonomous launching and landing of the power-generating aircraft for our Department of Defense customer. The ideal candidate will have experience with offshore systems to enable the future design of analogous ocean-going systems. The launch/land system design will require collaboration with the entire Windlift team and will involve the design, build, and test of a high-performance electromechanical winch integrated with a landing system. As the team leader, you:
- Have a BS/MS Mechanical or equivalent engineering degree w/ 10+ years of experience
- Have demonstrated experience in managing technical projects
- Have experience with CAD, preferable using CATIA
- Have extensive experience designing electromechanical systems, gearing, bolted joints, power transmission elements, slip rings, etc.
- Have a strong understanding of manufacturing processes including machining, rapid prototyping, extrusion, casting, welding, etc.
- Have experience with building high performing teams as you are empowered to build out your team, currently envisioned as 2 engineers and growing in future years
- Make decisions about design by optimizing the system rather than components
- Love to work on difficult problems, build cool things, experiment at the edge of what is possible, learn new skills, and share your experience with the team
- Look forward to working with a diverse team of engineers, builders, dreamers, and doers
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have practical experience with stress analysis (FEA and hand calculations) and fatigue calculations
- Have experience working safely with high voltage DC
- Have a working knowledge of control theory, avionics, microcontrollers, communication protocols, RTK GPS or other positioning sensors, DC-DC conversion, and feedback control of motors
- Feel comfortable leading multiple projects, writing proposals, and autonomously executing projects such as a SBIR Phase II
- Experience with design in marine environments, including materials selection, corrosion resistance, sealing systems, anchoring, and mooring, and general ocean engineering
- Requirements development within a Department of Defense context
This is an incredible opportunity to join Windlift at an inflection point in growth and make a real contribution to our mission of producing energy for a sustainable civilization.
We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to drive innovation, make better decisions, and accomplish extraordinary things.
Medical, dental and vision benefits are provided. Windlift is located close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Research Triangle Park, NC, all of which are great places to work, live, and play.