Windlift's mission is to produce energy for a sustainable civilization, which we believe is the defining challenge of our time. Our approach harnesses wind energy using 90% less material than traditional turbines and will cut the cost of wind energy in half. We have successfully demonstrated the core technology and are expanding our team to:
- Produce a fully functioning tech demonstrator
- Develop a production-ready design for our early-adopter government customers
- Design, build, and test a commercial offshore system
If you are passionate about our mission and want to join a team developing technology with the potential to produce scalable, low-cost sustainable energy, we’d like to talk with you.
Windlift is hiring a Composite Manufacturing Technician. The manufacturing team is responsible for collaborating with the engineering team to improve manufacturability through all stages of development and will then manufacture those designs into finished, ready-to-fly airborne power generators.
As a Composites Manufacturing Technician, you:
- Can be entry-level up to experienced composites manufacturing technician (no composites experience required; on-the-job training opportunities).
- Are detail oriented and have high personal standards for following instructions, quality of workmanship, and productivity.
- Have experience with safe operation of hand tools and power tools including but not limited to scissors, scrapers, utility knives, pliers, files, rotary saws, oscillating tools, random orbital sanders, etc.
- Have experience with maintaining a safe, efficient, and clean working environment.
- Love to work on difficult problems, build cool things, experiment at the edge of what is possible, learn new skills, and share your experience with the team.
- Have experience working as part of high performing teams (currently envisioned as 4 technicians and growing in the future).
- Look forward to working with a diverse team of technicians, engineers, builders, dreamers, and doers.
- Are energized by the opportunity to re-imagine composites manufacturing to support volumes of millions (yes millions) in order to achieve the mission of energy for a sustainable civilization.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have experience with the art and science of high-performance composites manufacturing, including tooling and jig/fixture design, infusion, wet layup including foam-core/sandwich laminate fabrication, pre-preg laminate fabrication, post-cure processes, composite structure assembly/bonding processes, process control, finishing, and paint.
- Have experience using a variety of fiber and resin systems, including carbon fiber and fiberglass, thermoset resins, woven, braided, multi-axial and uni-directional fiber products.
- Can find the correct balance between respecting traditional methods (“what works”) and imagining a better way in view of materials and component improvements (“what if”).
- Are comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. For example, the build team will build test fixtures and participate in testing of all types.
- Have experience using a CNC router, including setting up tool paths, tool changes, and producing code/instructions for the CNC machine to make parts, tools, and jigs.
- Experience machining epoxy tooling boards, nylon plastics, and aluminum, with the ability to properly adjust machining speed, cutters and tool path design to accommodate the different materials.
- Have laser cutting experience.
- Have experience with or be interested in manufacturing composite propeller/turbines as well as the airframe.
- Able to effectively operate a manual metal-working lathe and milling machine for making small numbers of prototype parts.
- Have machining, welding, and test fixture design experience.
This is an incredible opportunity to join Windlift at an inflection point in growth and make a real contribution to our mission of producing energy for a sustainable civilization.
We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to drive innovation, make better decisions, and accomplish extraordinary things.
Medical, dental, and vision benefits are provided. Windlift is located close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Research Triangle Park, NC, all of which are great places to work, live, and play.