Composites Manufacturing Technician
Windlift is hiring a Technician to join the manufacturing team. The manufacturing team will be responsible for turning designs into finished, ready-to-fly airborne power generators. This will include fabricating the composite aircraft frame, building mechanical subsystems (joints, controls, etc.), and installing electronic assemblies. In addition, the manufacturing team will be responsible for building tooling, fixtures, test beds, and other items for the shop.
As the Manufacturing Technician, you:
- Have a high school diploma, or relevant manufacturing experience.
- Are good with your hands and skilled in manufacturing fundamentals, including using hand tools, sanding, shaping, gluing and masking.
- Are proficient in fabricating mechanical assemblies, including using band saws, belt sanders, drill presses, and hand drills, and assembling small parts.
- Are knowledgeable about composite manufacture, including vacuum bagging, carbon fiber layups, fiberglass layups, and mold preparation.
- Are punctual.
- Are a good team player.
- Can find the correct balance between respecting traditional methods (“what works”) and imagining a better way in view of materials and component improvements (“what if”).
- Are comfortable in a fast paced, ever-changing environment. For example, the build team will build test fixtures and participate in testing of all types.
- Love to work on difficult problems, build cool things, experiment at the edge of what is possible, learn new skills, and share your experience with the team.
- Look forward to working with a diverse team of engineers, builders, dreamers, and doers.
- Required: US Work Authorization.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have experience with composites, such as experience with multiple composite manufacture techniques, resin and other material selection and sourcing, and metal-to-composite interfaces.
- Have experience with electronic assemblies, including power system assembly and lithium ion batteries.
- Have experience with milling metallic parts, including additive manufacture and using lathes.
- Have experience with testing, including building test rigs and quality tools in parallel to the product.
- Be excited by the opportunity to re-imagine composites manufacturing to support volumes of millions (yes millions) in order to achieve the mission of energy for a sustainable civilization.
Start date: January 1, 2021.
This is an incredible opportunity to join Windlift at an inflection point in growth and make a real contribution to our mission of producing energy for a sustainable civilization.
Competitive salary, medical benefits, and 401(k) provided. Will consider relocation for well qualified candidates. Windlift is located close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Research Triangle Park, NC, all of which are great places to work, live, and play.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!