Aircraft / UAV Lead Design Engineer
Windlift’s mission is to produce energy for a sustainable civilization. We strongly believe that this is the defining challenge of our time. To meet this challenge, we are designing and building airborne power generators that use 95% less material than a comparable wind turbine. This is a big deal, and it’s exceptionally hard. Windlift has been working on this technology for over 10 years, and we’re now poised to be awarded substantial funding from our first customer that will provide the resources to dramatically expand our efforts.
If you are passionate about our mission and want to join a team developing a technology that could make a real difference in the world, we’d like to talk with you.
Windlift is hiring a Lead Design Engineer. The UAV team will design the tethered aircraft we call an airborne power generator, with responsibility for the airfoil/wing, fuselage and tail, propeller/turbine, structural analysis, manufacturability assessment, tether and ground station, and actuators. As the Team Leader, You:
- Have a BS/MS in Mechanical, Aerospace or equivalent engineering, with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Have experience building and managing engineering teams (currently envisioned as 2-3 engineers and growing in future years).
- Have a strong understanding of how composites are manufactured and are excited about working closely with the co-located build team to make your designs as efficient and easily manufacturable as possible.
- Have extensive experience designing composite aircraft, including CAD modeling, FEA, control surface design, etc.
- Love to learn and experiment and look forward to the opportunity to meld your aviation experience with Windlift’s knowledge of the world of airborne wind energy, making a better product in the process.
- Can find the correct balance between respecting traditional design (“what works”) and imagining a better way in view of materials and component improvements (“what if”).
- Make decisions about design by optimizing the system rather than components.
- Look forward to working with a diverse team of engineers, builders, dreamers, and doers.
- Required: US Work Authorization.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have experience with or be interested in learning about the design and manufacture of propeller-turbines, a very complex multi-objective design requiring strong analytical skills.
- Be able to sit down and design an aircraft from the ground up.
- Be proficient with general mechanical design, including feedback control of motors, gearing, bolted joints, power transmission elements, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of electrical systems and control theory, including flight controller integration and stability analysis.
- Have working knowledge of CFD.
- Bring aviation industry experience to the table when considering safety, testing protocols, realistic timelines, etc.
Start Date: October 1, 2020.
This is an incredible opportunity to join Windlift at an inflection point in growth and make a real contribution to our mission of producing energy for a sustainable civilization.
Competitive salary, medical benefits, and 401k provided. Will consider relocation assistance for well-qualified candidates. Windlift is located close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Research Triangle Park, NC, all of which are great places to work, live, and play.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to careers [at] windlift.com. We look forward to hearing from you!