Aircraft / UAV Lead Design Engineer
We’re hiring a lead design engineer. The Airborne Power Generator team will design the airborne power generator, with responsibility for the airfoil/wing, fuselage and tail, propeller/turbine, structural analysis and manufacturability assessment, tether and ground station, hard points for tether attachment, and actuators. As the team leader, You:
- Have a BS/MS Mechanical, Aerospace, or equivalent engineering degree w/ 10+ years experience.
- Have extensive experience designing composite aircraft, including CAD modeling, stability analysis, FEM modeling, control surface design, etc.
- Have a strong understanding of how composites are manufactured and are excited about working closely with the co-located build team to make your designs as efficient and easily manufacturable as possible.
- Have experience with building high performing teams as you are empowered to build out your team, currently envisioned as 2-3 engineers and growing in future years.
- Make decisions about design by optimizing the system rather than components.
- Love to work on difficult problems, build cool things, experiment at the edge of what is possible, learn new skills, and share your experience with the team.
- Look forward to working with a diverse team of engineers, builders, dreamers, and doers.
- Required: US Work Authorization.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have experience with or be interested in learning about the design and manufacture of propeller-turbines, a very complex multi-objective design requiring strong analytical skills.
- Be able to sit down and design an aircraft from the ground up.
- Be proficient with general mechanical design, including feedback control of motors, gearing, bolted joints, power transmission elements, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of electrical systems and control theory.
- Have working knowledge of CFD.
- Bring aviation industry experience to the table when considering safety, testing protocols, realistic timelines, etc.
Start date: September 1, 2020.
This is an incredible opportunity to join Windlift at an inflection point in growth, be empowered to build a high performing team, and make a real contribution to our mission of producing energy for a sustainable civilization.
Competitive salary, medical benefits, and 401k provided. Will consider relocation for well qualified candidates. Windlift is located close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Research Triangle Park, NC, all of which are great places to work, live, and play.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!